- Why are giraffes able to go for long periods of time without water?
A giraffe can consume up to 12 gallons of water at one time when drinking from a water hole. They also obtain water from the dew on the leaves they eat and the water contained in their food.
- How are their long necks adapted to their lifestyle?
Their long necks allow them to feed among treetops and spot predators.
- What is special about a giraffe's heart?
Giraffes have an extra-large heart to pump blood up their long necks to the brain. A giraffe's heart is 2-3 times stronger than a human heart.
- Why do giraffes have tough tongues?
Long, tough tongues enable the giraffe to pull leaves from branches without being hurt by the thorns during feeding. They have prehensile tongues which allow them to hold branches by wrapping their tongues around the branches)
Their tongues are up to 18 inches long
- Why do giraffes have a spots on their fur?
Spotted coat camouflages giraffes among the trees.